Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Eggplant French Fries

"MOMMY DADDY MORE FRISH FRIS"- Shaina age 1

If you know me then you know that I am obsessed with French fries.  My parents always talk about how I wasn't happy until I had at least one fried treasure in each hand.  Well ladies and gentleman, low carb diets do not allow for my favorite treats so I went on a mission to find a suitable substitute.

ENTER THE WONDER OF EGGPLANT!

Recently I made Shanghai Eggplant and it has since become one of my favorite dishes and I started thinking about putting eggplant in EVERYTHING including FRISH FRIS (as I used to call them)!  And found a recipe that I tweaked to my own Jamaican Pallet.

Eggplant French Fried Lovelies
3/4 cups flour (I used 1/2 regular flour 1/4 seasoned)
3 tsps garlic salt (or to taste)
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp season salt
1 tbsp Sea salt or regular salt
All the black pepper you can stand (Jamaican remember )
oil for frying
3 baby eggplants or 2 medium eggplants
salt for seasoning after

In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic salt, dried oregano, salt, and pepper until thoroughly mixed. 




In a heavy-bottom medium saucepan, heat at least two inches of oil to about 350F. Peel the eggplants and slice into 3/4-inch thick fingers (I didnt slice them thick enough so be careful!). Toss the eggplant slices a few at a time in the seasoned flour until well coated. 


When the oil is ready, drop a few sticks of eggplant into the oil – they should begin sizzling immediately. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan or have the oil temperature drop too much. 








When they begin to brown (about a minute) flip them over and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute. Remove the eggplant fries from the oil and let drain on some aluminum foil. Serve hot with a shake of salt and ketchup!!!  A great snacking appetizer for 4 people or 1 extra hungry person such as myself!  






ENJOY!




I realize that flour is definitely against the slow carb diet but A tiny bit of coating never hurt.  I'm sure they would be fine without (rather cheat with these instead of real fries yum).

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I'll have to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I discovered your blog while searching for posts about Cheongju English Center. I really like your recipes! Anyway, I might be teaching at the Cheongju English Center, and was wondering if we could exchange a couple of emails?

    -Tonya briggstj82@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Give Me Your Rants...