Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Korean Mastication

"Fucked"-- that's the word that comes to mind when I think of my health since arriving in Korea.  While the word itself might be less than literary, the emotions behind them are valid.  Back in the states, I very rarely found myself to be "under the weather".  There were of course the bi-yearly allergies that were extremely taxing when they occurred, but I could regulate when they were coming and how long they would last.  I pride myself on being stronger- and lets face it, better- than everyone else when it comes agility, flexibility, intelligence, and health.  Not like "I'm better than you" but more like "anything you can do I can do better", and yes, the difference is crystal.  With this knowledge, one can easily understand why it is difficult to admit defeat.

This is the fourth time I've been sick in 6 months.  I can't dispel this feeling of, for lack of a better word, "fail".  Hence, the title of this blog; Korean Mastication.  Many foreigners get sick when they come to Korea and this has been coined "The Korea Effect" and I am falling victim to it big time.  I  feel as if my new country has been chewing me up, regurgitating, then chewing again while holding the repeat button.  I've yet to be spit out.  Taking that out of its metaphorical context, I have yet to recuperate from the continuous health ass kicking that I have been receiving in SoKo.  At this point, I am at a loss.  Its like I have to pick between being healthy and losing weight.  This weather and these conditions are killing me.  In the situation I find myself, it is really important to eat hearty foods that will keep my healthy and full.  Things like soups, potatoes, meat, vegetables, and oats.  This would be ok if not for two big problems;

1. Carbs are bad for ME specifically.  I know some people do fine with carbs, but for me, they stick to my body like--- I was going to say white on rice, but I think FAT ON FAT PEOPLE is more appropriate.ve
2.  Lunch at school is always lacking.  Every day.  I never get enough vegetables in Korea and the meat is always shit.  I hate the food here not necessarily for the taste, but because it lacks the kind of nutrients I need to sustain my healthy diet.  I have no idea what to do.

So basically, I am sitting here in bed taking a sick day because of this damned vomiting and coughing situation.  I feel like crap because people had to take over my duties at work, and to top it all off, I ingested oatmeal and cereal today.  Carbs and more carbs.  And now I'm starving and I have no idea what to eat.  If I take the high road I could eat a slim fast bar, but will that help me get better right now?  Be healthy or get skinny.  What do I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me Your Rants...