Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Engagement rings

I just read a post about Kim Kardashian's new engagement ring and wanted to vomit chunks.  Its 20.5 carats and it cost 2 million dollars.  ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!  Some girls might swoon at the idea of such a thing, but I am not impressed.

Love is not determined by the size of the rock on your finger.  You don't multiply the size of the rock to find out how long you will be married.  And when shit gets rough...that rock will not hold you together.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr----

Hit the breaks real quick though.  Now I am NOT saying that I don't want some pretty little tidbit on my finger.  Every girl has walked past the 2 or 3 carat and fallen in love at first "Try- on -even-though-you-know-you-not-buying-it".  I mean, that princess cut solitaire is always calling my name.  I would be lying if I said it didn't.  But at the same time, I would happily accept a ring pop, or an empty box with an IOU inside.  Why?  Because when the mood to ask me for my gorgeous hand strikes, I don't want the absence of a ring or the lack of money for what is deemed a "sufficient" ring, to postpone it.

If you know me, you know I like to be fly.  I like the flyest shoes, the hottest clothes, the most unique make-up and the prettiest jewelry.  EVERYONE knows this.  But in this case, I think a little differently.  When it comes to love, I prefer things straight from the heart- a letter, a home made card, an oven because I am obsessed with baking- those things matter.  At the end of the day, those are the things I will remember, not how much he spent on it.  The Tiffany necklace that I love an adore so much was almost completely outdone by the poem he wrote on the card.  I had to just remind myself of which holiday it was, but I remember the card word for word and it still makes me giggle like an infant.

I want a ring with a story.  Maybe it is surrounded by Jade because green is my favorite color.  Maybe it was in an antique store and it belonged to some old couple.  Maybe it was the only one he thought I would like.  Stories matter.  Love matters.  Carats don't.

I hate this obsession with the materialistic side of marriage.  People are always saying such negative things about marriage but maybe if they focused on the things that actually matter BEFORE they got married, the divorce rate wouldn't be so high.

Maybe I am just a hopeless romantic...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me Your Rants...