Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Things to know about Korea: SEX

So Yesterday I was basically keeled over in pain because of my massive monthly pains.  TMI?? Well get the hell off my blog then!  (Can you tell I still have it?) I could barely finish my classes because I was dead by the afternoon and my Co-teacher (the teacher who is kind of in charge of you)had to drive me home because I couldnt walk.  As I am sitting at my desk just now she starts asking me if I am ok and I explain to her that the 2nd day is always the worst for me and she says

"Don't worry, when you get married it will be better"

Me- "I don't understand"

Her- "Well you know when you are not a virgin anymore after you marry your period will get better"

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (pump your car breaks please)


STOP TRAFFIC

ME THINKING- "you got to be fucking kidding me right... I gets it in boo boo" (ghetto girl style)


WHAT I SAY INSTEAD- "Oooo yeaaa right, ok I see, I hope so hehehe"

Hmmmm can you say awkward?

Which brings me to my point:  PREMARITAL SEX in Korea is definitely not something you want to talk about with your co-teachers or bosses.  

I bet you are thinking "Why would I have to talk about sex with them anyway"?  Let me answer that question by providing another short real life scenario.

I was interested in looking into birth control a while back but being that I dont speak Korean it would make an informed doctors visit quite the difficult task.  I asked my boss if my friend Mindy (young korean teacher who is much more westernized and is actually my FRIEND) could be the person to take me to the ...ahem... lady doctor.  And she said NO IT MUST BE YOUR CO-TEACHER.  I explained to her that I did not feel comfortable talking to my co-teacher about lady things but she wasn't trying to hear it.  1. Because Mindy and I are friends and 2. Because if Mindy goes she can't get the scoop on everything I had to talk to the doctor about.  Nosey is the rule rather than the exception when it comes to the Korean Way.  

So I am supposed to go talk about Birth Control so I can have free and happy babyless sex with my honey pie with a woman who thinks I am a virgin and who will no doubt relay the message to the rest of the office?  Not a chance in hell.  On the other side of that, she is one of the sweetest women ever, and I'd rather not have her know all the business of my VagCookie.

POINT:  If you are coming to Korea, make sure you know what kind of birth control and things you need and remember that its definitely old fashioned here so if you aren't married they probably think you are a virgin!

I am so glad none of the other western teachers were in the office when this happened because I could just imagine the snickers I would have heard.

7 comments:

  1. Haha... She was definitely just being nosy... you can go to the doctor with who the heck ever you freaking want.

    In any case, I hope you were able to resolve the bc issue... also it might help if you told the doctor that you needed something for your out of control cycle, at which point he/she might have recommended birth control anyway.

    You're right about one thing: nosy is definitely the rule... they're also super curious about foreigners. Wanting to know what you eat for dinner, what's going on with your love life, how often you go to the market, etc. It's hard to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar scare when I first arrived 6 months ago. I had brought enough birth control for about 3 months. When I ran out I asked my co-teacher where to buy it etc and she was mortified! Luckily, you don't have to go to the doctor and you don't need a prescription.

    I use Mercilon (pronounce it Mershilon) and you can get it at any pharmacy for about 9,000 won. I haven't had any negative side effects with this pill and it actually makes your cycle shorter. TMI? I hope this info helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On friend said it decreased her sex drive!! NOT INTO THAT! Also, Can you get it in England? Did you still want the you know all the time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And is it strong?? I am known to become a demon on Birth Control!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah! I would say my sex drive has remained the same:) I believe Mercilon is a low dose. I used to be on Levora (not available in Korea) and it gave me crazy emotional problems and it was a pretty high dose. I had really good luck with Ortho-Tricyclin Low but it ended up being TOO LOW if you know what I mean.

    Unfortunately I've found the only way to see if a birth control is good for you is to try it yourself. You'll know right away if its a bad pill for you and luckily you won't be out much money.

    I believe Mercilon is actually an Irish medication so I'm assuming its available in England!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Did I tell you about my Korean lady doctor experience? After asking me numorous health and personal questions she was VERY happy to hand over my bc script AFTER she discovered that I was married and not some kind of waygook whore! Good times. Confused the heck out of my co-teachers when told them I wanted to be on bc AND I was married. "Geri teacher, you no want baby?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just walked into the pharmacy ten minutes ago and showed them my almost empty pack of Alesse and asked for three more packs. No questions asked. It's also very cheap, only 8000 per pack. It's double that at home WITH insurance...which I won't have when I go back...so I'll stock up now haha. They tried to give me a black bag to put it in and when I said it was okay, I had a white homeplus bag, they did look a little odd...like I was the odd one.

    ReplyDelete

Give Me Your Rants...